Friday, April 22, 2016

The Artist Formerly Known As Prince

I know. I'm boring and unoriginal. But I'm going on the record & saying: 

"When Doves Cry"

is my favorite Prince song.*


The hypnotic, syncopatic keyboards, those dang, unmistakeably-Princely drum synths, the passion with which he cries out at himself and his lover, as they repeat the same behavior he sees in his parents' stormy relationship:

Why do we scream? Why? This is what it sounds like.

When doves cry.

LOVE  IT. LOVE IT. LOVE  IT. LOVE IT. LOVE  IT. LOVE IT. LOVE  IT. LOVE IT. LOVE IT.
---

*Followed, so-closely-as-to-be-unmeasurable, by 

"Let's Go Crazy" 

Dearly beloved. We are gathered here 2day 2 get through this thing called Life. Electric word, Life, it means 4ever, and that's a mighty long time, but I'm here to tell U.. 

there's something else.

That driving beat. The idea of celebrating even as the world is falling apart. 

And if the elevator tries to bring you down, go crazy!

PUNCH A HIGHER FLOOR!

And that kick-ass guitar-solo! That solo! 

That FREAKIN' solo!

TWO MORE-PERFECT SONGS HAVE NEVER BEEN WRITTEN!

---

I will also sing my guts out to "Raspberry Beret" and to "Kiss" 
(a song I very much disliked in 1986):

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with, I just want your extra time and your (jangle-jangle-jangle) kiss.


You were mysterious & enigmatic. Some said shy.

I thought maybe a bit stand-offish & holier-than-thou. 

AND

let's not forget 
you were way too sexy for my fragile ego. 
You flaunted sex in a way that I was never comfortable with. 
You rubbed it in our faces. 
And then on top of that, 
you go and introduce us to 
*THE* *SEXIEST* WOMEN* of the 80's:

Sheila E, Apollonia, Vanity. 

My god, it was just too much for my hormone-rattled youth! 

(But you did introduce us to that dude in the headband. He seemed cool.)

(You gave him the line: 
Life is just a party and parties weren't meant to last
in the video for "1999".)

(I just found out his name is Dez Dickerson. Even his name rocks.) 

(I also always had a soft-spot for Lisa & Wendy too.) 

But I digress.

---

Please allow me to close by saying: 

Mr. Prince, 
sir, 
U were an artistic genius
and your music 
made an impact 
on my life and soul.

Thank U for that. 
Rest in peace.
GTO

No comments:

Post a Comment