Monday, December 18, 2017

Reinvent Yourself: Feel Like a Kid Again

GTO's Thoughts:

I saw "The Last Jedi" this weekend.

And I was not disappointed.

"The Last Jedi" is full of wonder, excitement and, most of all, respect for the original trilogy.

And for these reasons, it's the best Star Wars film in 30+ years. *

I'm happy to be a fan of STAR WARS again.

Since Chris Gore (over at Film Threat) summed it up so well, why don't you read his review of the movie.

Click on Luke.
Film Threat Chris Gore Review of the Last Jedi
If you scroll down to the comment section of Chris Gore's review, you'll find a quick comment by yours truly.

I'm currently the only commentator under his review.

Why? I don't know.

Film Threat rocks!

Another group who had insightful things to say about this film were c|net's staffers from around the world.

I really liked hearing the different thoughts and opinions expressed.

Click the C-Net headline:

'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' best and worst: c|net global review
Now, I had some issues with "The Last Jedi" - a few in fact.

But there was so much great stuff in it, it's hard to focus on the negatives.

"The Last Jedi" feels like the final, third film in a grand trilogy.

It's epic and satisfying and well-made.

And it feels like a completion to the original films.

Please bear in mind, I was massively disappointed in the prior four films (those helmed by J.J. Abrams & George Lucas).

Upon viewing the prior "The Force Awakens" I declared that Star Wars was dead to me.

Not kidding.

I was done with Star Wars.

Ask my buddy Larry (Tweet him @theguestroompod).

Or my buddy Shawn (Tweet him @SVashaw).

They'll tell you.

I take this shit seriously.

So any new Star Wars film would have to come a long way to erase the anger and sadness I've felt over the last 30 years as a beloved sci-fi trilogy was ripped off, spat upon and robbed entirely of its magic.

The original Star Wars films had such a hold on me that they convinced me to devote my life to movies. To study film in college. To work in the film business.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

So for me to overlook the various flaws of "The Last Jedi" and to actually feel the hope in this film, and to relive the dreams of my teen years at the same time, is a major emotional achievement for me.

I'm excited to give "The Last Jedi" an 8 out of 10.

And the best part?

I will not argue with you if you want to rate it a 10.

(If you had spoken so highly of "The Phantom Menace" or "The Force Awakens" I would've politely never talked to you again for the rest of my life.)

So for the time being, I've turned away from the cynicism of the Dark Side that had been growing in me for 30 years.

I'm thankful for this cinematic return to the Light Side.

I feel like a kid again.

Thanks for reading.

GTO

* Apologies to "Rogue One" which is a good (8/10) Star Wars film. But because it exists outside the Skywalker line of stories, and because my heart is so attached to the original trilogy of characters, I consider it an outlier in the canon in the best possible way. No offense intended.

No comments:

Post a Comment